If you’re vegan and craving something sweet, you should bake yourself a delicious vegan treat! Tofutti’s cream cheese products are a great substitute. Try our vegan sugar cookie recipe, you won’t be disappointed.
Vegan Sugar Cookies
· 1 cup vegan butter
· 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
· 1 cup vegan white sugar
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 2 whole egg replacements
· ¼ cup Tofutti cream cheese
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
NEW! – Icing
· 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
· ½ tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
· 6 to 8 tsp soy milk/other non-dairy milk
· Assorted food colouring
· 4 tsp light corn syrup (you can use agave nectar)
Instructions for Cookies:
- Using a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the egg replacements and vanilla, and stir. Gradually add in the flour, baking powder and Tofutti cream cheese. This can be difficult to mix fully, and you may need to use your hands to finish mixing, until the mix becomes dough.
- Form the dough into a long loaf, or divide it in half and press it into two flat rounds. Wrap it in cellophane, and refrigerate for a 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ F. Grease cookie sheets and use a non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ “ thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place 1 “ apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the oven, or until the bottoms and edges are lightly brown.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Instructions for Icing:
- In a medium sized bowl, stir in confectioners’ sugar and soy milk until smooth.
- Beat in corn syrup (or agave nectar) and almond extract (or vanilla extract) until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Add food colouring to desired intensity. To make pink, us 2 to 3 drops of red. To make purple, use 5 drops of red and 1 drop of blue.
- Dip cookies and allow time to try overnight, or for a couple of hours before storing.